Friday, July 8, 2011

Erik's Restaurant Rating System

            So, when Megan and I were figuring out what should go on this blog, I started thinking about what I was good at, or knowledgeable of, yet could also talk about in a public forum.  The answer was very simple: Food.  While I plan to add recipes or cooking ideas to the blog, I would also like to review restaurants.  I’ve been very interested in food blogging since I learned it was a legitimate career, so I might as well start with what I know.  So here’s how I plan to rate restaurants.  At the end of each restaurant review you will see this chart:

Category
Scale 1-5 stars
Food Quality
\bigstar
Food Creativity
\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar
Service
\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar
Atmosphere
\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar
Value for the price
\bigstar\bigstar


I plan to grade restaurants on five categories:
* Food Quality: how good the food actually was. 
* Food Creativity: how unique or creative the food was.
* Service: the quality and knowledge of the wait staff.
* Atmosphere: the surroundings of the restaurant
* Value for the price: is the food worth the money you are spending
Each of the categories will be ranked with somewhere between one and five stars.  So here is what each of the stars means. 

5 Stars
\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar Outstanding/Amazing
            The five star ranking is given to restaurants where the category I am ranking them on falls under the following:
*I believe they are clearly one of the best ten restaurants we have been to in North Carolina in their respective category. 
* They have at least one outstanding dish that everyone who reads this should try and I continually rave about.
* They have something that is so unique or authentic that I cannot possibly rank them anywhere else. 

4 Stars
\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar Great
            The four star ranking is given to restaurants where the category I am ranking them on falls under the following:
            * They are significantly better than average in the category.
* They are a restaurant that we would often recommend to friends/strangers due to our experience there.
* They have at least one great dish that I would recommend, but it may have some inconsistencies on the plate or in the meal.
* They have something unique that sticks out and makes them significant.

3 Stars
\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar Good
The three star ranking is given to restaurants where the category I am ranking them on falls under the following:
* They are a place that is good or average in their category.
* They are some place that I could see myself going back to in the future.
* They always have something that I would order.
* They are free of any negative experience.

2 Stars
\bigstar\bigstar Fair           
The two star ranking is given to restaurants where the category I am ranking them on falls under the following:
* The restaurant did not give me a bad experience, but also not a good one.
* They have food but there are inconsistencies in the quality, care, creativity, service, etc.
* They are someplace I would not recommend to friends.

1 Star
\bigstar Poor
The one star ranking is given to restaurants where the category I am ranking them on falls under the following:
* The restaurant gave us a bad experience.
* They are someplace we would tell people to avoid. 
* They made multiple mistakes that a place of business should not do. (such as raw poultry, poor sanitation, misappropriated food, etc)


No comments:

Post a Comment