Sunday, October 23, 2011

Review of Mixto, Wilmington


       When you are in Wilmington, forget Mexican food!  That has been overly done.  What you really need is the Latin cuisine from Mixto. Megan and I  have never had Latin food before, and we were very excited about trying Mixto.  In addition to our desire for new cuisine, we chose Mixto due to their dog friendly patio.  See, we took our furry babies to the beach for the day, and we planned on having lunch with them.  Mixto gave us that opportunity, as well as some great food.  I can now see why Chef Eric Gephart was named best chef in Wilmington in 2010.


       To start our meal, we were brought fresh-made tortilla chips along with salsa and their house sauce.  The salsa was extremely finely chopped tomatoes, peppers, and onions.  It was very smooth and flavorful and is now one of my favorite restaurant salsas.  The house sauce is harder to describe, as our waitress said it was their secret sauce.  I know it includes vinegar, molasses, and honey along with vegetable flavors and spices, one of which I am guessing is cumin.  These are all reduced together for an amazingly sweet, yet slightly spicy sauce.  Honestly, this sauce was epic, and so different from the norm.  We also ordered the queso dip, as you can never go wrong with cheese and jalepenos.


       For our appetizer, we both ordered the Corn Sweet Potato soup.  This combines a chicken stock with pureed sweet potatoes and spices, with roasted corn in the soup.  This dish is so different from a normal soup, but like us, you will love every bite.  It is a thick soup, but aside from the corn, it is not chunky, it is just that the broth has a great density.  At this point, we realized that we were really in for a treat at Mixto.


       For my lunch, I ordered the Baja Fish Burrito.  Yes, I had heard great things about their fish tacos, but I was in the mood for a burrito, as I love rice.  This dish consists of Dos Equis Tempura-battered fish, mango, pickled pink onion, salsa verde, guacamole, rice, and black beans all wrapped in a fresh burrito.  While, I am not a fan of black beans, once I took them out, this was burrito was exceptional.  All of the fresh ingredients together made magic in my mouth.  Both Megan and I loved this burrito and would easily order it again.  
   
        Once Megan saw that their Avocado, Mango, and Crab salad won the Taste of Wilmington award, her dish was set.  It consists of mixed greens (predominantly baby spinach), diced mango and avocado, chili spiced tuna tartare, and tons of fresh crab claw meat all topped with a lemonade vinegarette.  Fresh crab and avocado is one of our favorite combinations, but when you add Megan's favorite fruit, mango, and fresh diced tuna, then I can easily understand why this is an award winning dish.  It was fabulous; I was jealous that I didn't order it myself.  Chef Gephart definitely showed off why he is one of the hottest chefs in the Wilmington area, all in that one dish.


      Our time at Mixto was great (as were our puppies who slept until the horse tour strolled by, then they were scared).  I can easily see why this is quickly becoming one of the best lunch spots in all of Wilmington.  When you can have a filling lunch that is made with exceptional quality for under $10 per person, then you have found restaurant gold.  Latin food made a huge impression on us thanks to Chef Eric Gephart, and I guarantee that we will be back.  If you are in the area and are craving Mexican, then upgrade to the Latin cuisine of Mixto and have an experience as great as ours.


Category
Scale 1-5 stars
Food Quality
\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar
Food Creativity
\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar
Service
\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar
Atmosphere on the patio
\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar
Value for the price
\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar\bigstar


Mixto on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment